Saturday, January 24, 2009

Week Pie: Raspberry Lime


So I went a little cavalier with this week's pie. I wanted something relatively light after last week's Pecan Date that was super fattening so I decided to make a cold pie. I found a raspberry pie recipe on Taste of Home's web site but I really wanted to do something with lime jello, and since the only recipes I found with raspberries and lime jello also had a ridiculous amount of whipped cream, I took Taste of Home's recipe, which called for raspberry jello and used lime instead. I also grated a little lime zest in the jello mix and a little bit of pulp too. We're having a "House" party tonight, so we'll see how it goes over. It looks a bit odd, and that's why I've decided to call it (and Tinka will get this joke) "The Marriage of Easy Bake Oven and Creepy Crawlers" (because it totally looks like Plasti-Goop) or "Happy Birthday, Slimer" (Ghostbusters). I have a feeling this pie would go over really well at a 10 year boy's birthday party (see picture).

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 cup water
* 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry (or lime!) gelatin
* 4 cups fresh raspberries (I used mostly frozen on the bottom layer, and fresh on the top)
* 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)

Directions:

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin (and zest and pulp!) until dissolved. Cool for 15 minutes.

Place raspberries in the crust; slowly pour gelatin mixture over berries. Arrange fresh berries on the top of the jello. Chill until set, about 3 hours. Yield: 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment