Friday, February 11, 2011

Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Cinnamon Chicken"

 I'm fairly certain there is no mention of cinnamon chicken in the actual Little House books, but for those of you who remember the TV show there was an episode where Nellie invites Almanzo Wilder to dinner (before he married Laura). Laura is so jealous that she offers to prepare Almanzo's favorite meal for Nellie because Nellie can't cook. Laura sabotages the meal by using cayenne pepper instead of cinnamon--you can imagine the result. I got this fabulously simple recipe from The Prairie Blog, which is now defunct.

1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 egg
2 tbsp. milk
2 chicken breasts
1/3 c. crushed corn flakes (or bread crumbs)
2 tbsp. oil

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, turmeric, and pepper. Beat egg and milk. Coat chicken pieces with flour mix. Combine bread crumbs/cornflakes and remaining flour mixture. Dip chicken into egg and coat with bread crumbs/corn flakes. Arrange in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with oil, or just spray the top with oil (I use the self-fill spray cans). Bake until crisp and brown, about 40 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Just watched this episode today and I was intrigued to know what Cinnamon Chicken would be like on The Prairie. All recipes I searched for were of ethnic versions of chicken in a sauce that included cinnamon - a friend found your blog with this entry and I am going to try making this recipe very soon. It sounds really good!

    Thank you so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - thank you for posting this - I am going to make this tonight! All good things to you - Amy P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this post. I remember this episode so well, and I was wondering if there was such a recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, corn flakes were invented in 1906 so missed the mark for the Little house possible way. I think corn meal and flour would be most likely of just spices and baked.and Apple cider vinegar if it was marinated or sweetened with sugar or honey in it. Could be a marinate then fried buttermilk/egg, then flour dipped style that was common back then.
    I'm guessing but think about what was available to them then.

    ReplyDelete