Saturday, February 21, 2009

Week Pie: Coconut, Peaches & Cream Pie


I messed around with this pie a little, which was supposed to be just a Peaches & Cream pie, but I was walking around an Asian market and kept seeing coconut, coconut, coconut (and I love coconut), so I coconuted it up.

I kind of messed up by adding about 1/2 cup coconut milk (not light) to the filling and it made the pie way too soupy when it was still warm, but after sitting overnight in the fridge it solidified perfectly and it tasted way better cold anyway. I also should have listened when they said "ripe" peaches. Mine were not and never got soft soft. USE RIPE PEACHES.

Ingredients:

* 6 medium ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
* 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (I used mom's recipe again)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
* Small can of coconut milk
* Flaked coconut

Directions:
Arrange peaches in the pastry shell. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in cream until smooth. Pour over peaches. Sprinkle flaked coconut on top.
Cover with foil and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until filling is almost set. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment