Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Week Pie: Maple Buttermilk Pie

"Maple Trees" Thierry Hennequin
I totally forgot to write about the last two pies! This one turned out alright. It was just supposed to be a maple buttermilk pie, but I like apples so I used them, and I used brown sugar instead of maple sugar (because I have no idea what that is!). I wish it would have tasted more maple-y. Maybe the maple sugar would have done that...


Ingredients:
* 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell (I used mom's)
* 6 Apples
* 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
* 2/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
* 6 large egg yolks
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons maple sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325°F. Put pie shell (in pie plate) in a shallow baking pan.

Whisk together remaining ingredients in a bowl until just combined and pour three fourths of custard and apples into shell. Carefully put pan in middle of oven and pour in remaining custard with a cup.

Bake until just set in center, about 55 minutes, then transfer pie to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

* Accompaniment: lightly sweetened whipped cream

No comments:

Post a Comment