Saturday, March 14, 2009

Week Pie: Pear Raspberry Camembert Pie


This pie was amazing! I got the idea from the now defunct TV show Pushing Daisies, which was about a pie maker. They talked about baking gruyere into the crust and I started to think about how I love brie and fruit together so I picked two favorite fruits (pears and raspberries) and sort of worked out a way to bake cheese into the crust. I ended up using camembert instead of brie because I bought it accidentally instead of brie (they look totally the same!). I think I like it even better now. I had some leftover phyllo dough, so I but a layer of that between the filling and the cheese. It worked fine, but if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it!

Ingredients:

4 c. peeled, sliced fresh Bartlett pears
1/3 c. honey
2 tbsp. cornstarch
4 tsp. lemon juice (go easy on it. I think I used too much)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (I didn't use this)
Pastry for 2 crust (9 inch) pie (I used mom's again)
1 pound of raspberries, frozen
Half a wheel of Camembert
Phyllo dough

Toss pears with honey, cornstarch, lemon juice, peel and ginger. Turn mixture into pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate; cover with mashed raspberries. Place a sheet of phyllo dough over the filling. Cut slices of camembert with a knife heated with hot water and layer over phyllo. Cover with top crust. Seal and flute edges; cut vents into crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until pears are tender and crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment