Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Marshmallow Mermaid Pie

What pie-maker who has seen "Waitress" has not fantasized about Jenna's Marshmallow Mermaid Pie? Ever since I fist saw the movie and her pie topped with (childhood favorite!) fruit-flavored mini marshmallows, I've been looking for a recipe. I was shocked to find that the DVD includes a recipe for "Marshmallow Mermaid Pie" but it looks nothing like the one in the movie and the ingredients do not make me think mermaid. It's more like a cookies and cream kind of pie--plain white marshmallow filling mixed with chocolate wafers, I think. I didn't even bother making it. Instead, I set about imagining what Marshmallow Mermaid Pie would actually consist of. In the movie it looked like a pinkish custard with the colorful mini marshmallows. So what kind of custard is pink? Um, rose custard of course. If you know me you know I look for any excuse to use rosewater. But it needed something more and my favorite companion to rosewater is coconut extract. So this is a rosewater/coconut custard-y pie topped with the classic colorful mini marshmallows we all know and love.

Ingredients:

1 precooked pie crust (see recipe in my blog)
1 pint cream, whipped (I use an immersion blender)
1 6oz package instant vanilla pudding (and necessary ingredients to make)
2 tablespoons rosewater
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 package plain gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup water
Red food coloring
Flavored Mini Marshmallows

Directions:

In separate bowl mix together vanilla pudding till thick. If necessary, chill. Blend cream till thick, chill. In a saucepan mix sugar, rosewater, coconut extract, and water. Pour packet of gelatin over mixture, let sit for 1 minute. Turn stove to high heat and mix until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat and continue mixing till mixture is syrupy. Immediately blend with pudding first then add whipped cream and coconut flakes. Add food coloring at this point till desired pinkish color. Pour mixture into baked & chilled pie crust. Top with mini marshmallows till covered. Chill overnight. I would use a shallow pie pan for this one as the custard makes it difficult to remove in nice pieces, and it's rather rich.

I think Jenna would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment