Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rosewater/Coconut Frozen Yogurt

I was inspired recently by an article on a San Francisco ice cream parlor called Humphry Slocombe. After checking out the unique flavors listed on their web site I started thinking about my recent love affair with real frozen yogurt. I have been spending way too much money every weekend at my local yogurt hot spot (cold spot?) and on top of that they only have two flavors, both of which are incredibly boring. Now, I'm a fan of toppings as much as the next person but I think frozen yogurt should be able to stand on its own two feet. I recently moved to a studio apartment and this is the first time since I began baking that I've lived alone; so I can no longer bake pies every week and have been desperate for new creative culinary outlets. My mom very sweetly offered to buy me a Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Maker (~ $70) as a housewarming gift and I made my first batch last night. I don't usually prefer standard fruit flavors and I wanted to try something different, so this recipe is a frozen yogurt take on my Rose/Coconut Cake (which you should try, by the way). I was so excited I actually started eating it while it was still churning. I am in love. I think Trader Joe's Greek Style Yogurt really made all the difference; if you use regular yogurt you're supposed to strain out the water with cheesecloth for a day or so.

Ingredients:

1 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup milk or soy milk (or water)
2 tablespoons rosewater
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1/3 cup coconut flakes (optional)
2 containers of Trader Joe's Greek Style Yogurt (about 4 cups)
Red Food Coloring

Directions:

In a saucepan mix sugar, milk, rosewater, and coconut extract. Stir with whisk till boiling and mixture bubbles. Turn off heat and remove from stove. Continue stirring till mixture stops bubbling and you're left with a simple syrup. Mix together yogurt and syrup and enough red food coloring to make the mixture pink. Add mixture to ice cream maker and churn for half an hour. Transfer to airtight container and store in freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment